Thursday, May 19, 2011

Motorcycles in Tainan - Big Bikes

Taiwan law divides motorcycles into three categories

<= 50cc                light weight

50cc<XX<550cc    regular/normal

>550cc                  heavy weight

The lightweight category doesn't require a license as they are considered motorized bicycles. The regular/normal are usually about 150cc to 200cc and are the most popular machines. The heavyweights are for rich people who want to show off. (This is my opinion, not official anything.)

Taiwan law says that:

1. Everyone(and passengers) must correctly wear an approved helmet.
2. Headlights must be on at all times.
3. No motorcycles on toll roads

The first law at times seems only a suggestion but at times there are road stops that enforce the law. Similarly at such road stops by the police, they check for driver's licence, registration papers and emission papers. I remember once I was stopped for an illegal turn with my Honda Civic and they just let me go after I said I was sorry because they couldn't explain the procedure to me as my Chinese was so bad. Ignorance as an advantage! That doesn't happen in the USA.

For the second law, headlights are never on in daylight, Taiwanese are too frugal to put up with such a foolish law. Even at night, I would say 50% in Tainan don't turn on their headlights. They only turn on their headlights if it is their to their own advantage. As a pedestrian at night, extra diligence is required.

All motorcycles are forbidden from the toll roads so Taiwan isn't "big bike friendly". But traffic is so bad that small and nimble is most needed. Big Bikes are for show off people, not regular people. But there are showoff people everywhere.

Like imports, Ducati:

Others. Like Kymco, nice looking, just impractical.



Sym has some stylist bikes too:



No comments:

Post a Comment