Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dorm tip #316 - the hard floors of life

In Taiwan, it is so humid that very few floors have carpeting. Similarly, wood floors are prone to rot and insects so they are seldom seen. The most typical flooring is cement tiles:

These floors are unforgiving, if you drop something breakable it will break. So the good dorm equipment is that which doesn't break. There are "The Good", like plastic and metal.

All of these come from the 24 hour dry goods store or were donated from relatives. But there are some uses that can't take metal or plastic. Microwaving requires some glass/ceramic material. There are "The Bad", like glasses and corelle.


I use to have 2 nice white corelle bowls, like above. But I dropped one and it became, "The Ugly", in about a 100 pieces.

But somethings just require glass. I think that anyone who drinks beer out of  a plastic container just doesn't enjoy beer. Without the heft and coolnest of a glass, beer is just not as enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike -- I'm enjoying your blog--it lets me "travel" to a place very foreign to me. I like your photos, descriptions of your side trips, the different foods, and in general your life there.
    We're having warm weather this week--in the 30's and 40's--last week it was -10. I don't suppose you get that kind of variation. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you've got me worried now. We have tile floors and haven't dropped any plates yet. Tile is the preferred flooring in Tucson because it is cooler in the hot season. It is so dry here that people don't worry about rotting carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Taiwan is more humid than Arizona but probably just as hot. In the past it was the AC problems that determined housing, this year people starting looking at heating.

    Before there was AC many places were sparsely populated, I think the population shift to Southern and Western US is a results of AC

    ReplyDelete