Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dorm tip #314 - dual thermometers

Most houses in Taiwan do not have heating. Certainly space heaters have been a big item this winter, but generally, heating is not built in. One of the reasons I like the library at school is that it is heated and air conditioned. It seems the books last longer in a controlled environment and people are more flexible than the books.

Each room in my dorm has its own air conditioning unit, but I doubt that anyone has used them these past 2 months. The only additional fee beyond the dorm fee is an individual electric bill that is paid bimonthly.

Originally, I thought the only way to keep the room warm is to keep the room closed up tight. Once the room gets closed up, the warmth can't get out but also the cold can't get out. One day the room was cold from the night before but going to school it seemed much warmer than the room. I should have opened the window and let the warm outside air in. When do you open the window?

I solved this problem with my patented dual thermometer solution. I have two identical thermometers. One at the entrance to the room(attached to the wall with double sided tape).

And one thermometer outside my window.
Now when I go to school in the morning I check to see which thermometer has the highest temperature, and open the window accordingly. I also turned on the air conditioning control unit just to get another data point on the room temperature.
I am determined not to buy a space heater, but thermometers are OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment