Saturday, January 1, 2011

My classes this time

Last time I was at the National Cheng Kung University Chinese Language Center, I took 2 semester of Chinese in the small class setting. That was 10 hours per week in a class of about 12 students. An additional 5 hours per week was spent in classes on optional classes like calligraphy, Chinese music, useful phrases, pronunciation and grammar.

This time, I switched to 1 on 1 tutors for the 10 hours of classes. So I have two teachers, one twice a week for 2 hours and the other 3 times a week for 2 hours. In the classroom it was easier to hide from the teacher but in the 1 on 1 tutoring there is nowhere to hide. In just one week I think I've made more progress than in the classroom experience for similar amount of time.(Duh!) For me, class size really has made a difference. The cost is almost double for 1 on 1 tutoring versus classes.

This time the additional 5 hours of instruction is divided into

2 hours in pronunciation
1 hour in grammar
2 hours in Taijiquan

Taijiquan is the traditional Chinese form of exercise.  For fun

Here is the building on campus housing the Chinese Language Center.


Here are the other departments that share the building.

 
Here is the room for 1 on 1 tutoring, a tutor and student per desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment