Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fossils on both sides of DaXue Lu

In a previous post

http://tainanchineseclass.blogspot.com/2009/09/rocks-in-tainan.html

I was struck my what a nice boulder of fossils was used on the boulevard of DaXue road on the NCKU Campus. This time as a student, I happen to walk on the other side of the road and saw another boulder of fossils. They are from the same location but someone placed them on opposite sides of the same road.


Who would do such a thing? Probably some frustrated geology major. Anyway for me it was a great discovery, now when I walk along DaXue road I now have to decide which side of the road I will walk on, so which boulder of fossils will I see.

Here is the situation from Google maps, the two black spots mark the location of the two boulders of fossils.



Obviously someone knew what they were doing, but it isn't until someone walks on both sides of the road that they know what was done. On the south side of the road, we have this boulder.

http://tainanchineseclass.blogspot.com/2009/09/rocks-in-tainan.html

including this picture:

But the other side of the street, has an equally impressive set of fossils. Here is the boulder on the other side:

A close up shows they are from the same strata.

Someone with a knowledge of geology/fossils set up two boulders, one on each side of the street. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment