Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dorm tip #313 - tool kit

No mechanic is better than his tools. And even though you have good tools it doesn't mean you're a good mechanic. But without the right tools nothing good is going to happen.

Thing break, that's just the way of the world. Sometimes you can fix them IF you have the right tools. So it's good to have a tool kit rather than just throw out the broken and buy a new one. In Taiwan, I have used my tool kits to fix:

my glasses
a broken computer mouse
try to fix a broken external DVD drive

external speakers
shower drains
faucet filters
luggage zippers
various medical operations

My main tool kit uses an old bicycle tool kit as a carrying case.

I replaced the bicycle tools with the ones that I thought I might need.


The exploded view is:

Here is what I carry:

Screwdriver with various tips                  
5 small screw drivers
3 screw drivers for small small Phillips heads
vise grip
needle nose pliers
forceps
scissor
small crescent wrench
tweezers
file
super glue

not shown:
sand paper
magnifying glass(my eyes are failing)
weighing scale
small filter

The bigger tools like screw divers and hammers can be bought at any decent hardware store, it's the small tools that are harder to find. This kit weighs about 2 pounds and to heavy to carry in my back pack so I have a smaller kit that Ely and Eli gave me for Xmas one year.


The exploded view:


It has:

tweezers
toothpick
knife
bottle opener
slot head screw driver


magnifying glass
compass(I haven't used this yet)


Note: None of these will pass the airport screenings, they have to go in the checked luggage.

2 comments:

  1. You are prepared for about anything! Do your fellow students ever ask you for help with repairs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most fellow students are college/post-college age, 40 years younger than I. I am like the father they never had. Their own fathers are looking for results and I am strange but nonthreatening one. For me it's a fun position.

    ReplyDelete