Monday, April 18, 2011

Dried Youzi

In a previous blog, I talked about the fun with youzi

http://tainanchineseclass.blogspot.com/2009/10/youzi-mauzi.html

Youzi is like a big grapefruit, I think in the US it is called a pomelo. I know they are sold at Costco in the US. I don't think they are so healthy as that Alzheimer victim, Ronald Reagen was big on grapefruit. Nothing wards off the Alzheimer's.

The weather in Tainan is HOT now, it gets up in the 80's/90's now and my room on the North side of the dorm doesn't cool off at night, still in the 80's at night. I'm trying to see if I can hold off on the AC until it's "unbearable". One lesson I've learned: "Cold beer helps".

With the hot weather, lots of Tainan residents are taking advantage of "solar energy" to dry out vegetables. Youzi peels are used as a mosquito repellent, it makes sense, citronella also is a repellent.

Any space exposed to the sun seems suitable, like these motorcycle seats.

I think everyone has been waiting for the Sun to get this drying business done. Garlic needs drying.

I remember in Dallas it was so hot they said you could fry an egg on a car hood, that might be a little extreme. The side walks are taken over by solar energy projects. Here I think they are drying out crab apples.

2 comments:

  1. But if they dry crab apples on the sidewalks, where do the motorcycles go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the deeper question is: "Who owns the sidewalk?" and beyond that "Who will enforce the ownership rights of whom? In Tainan, it's a murky question, but mostly the property owners can do what they want with the sidewalk infront of their building. In Taipei, in certain areas, it looks like pedestrians own the sidewalk.

    I don't even know what the law is in the US. But space is not at such a premium, and it is probably just convention that the sidewalk and boulevard belows to the "commons".

    Another interesting question is: Who owns the parking spot infront of a building. I think, whoever claims it, owns it. Because others are conflict adverse.

    ReplyDelete