Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fun Stuff

My modus operandi of doing blog topics is:

1.think of a good subject
2.create a computer folder for photos
3.accumulate about 5 photos
4.write the blog entry and publish

I have less that 2 weeks left in this time in Taiwan but I want to clean up the partial folders, so here is a bunch of just random stuff.

In the Kaohsiung subway system, this picture is used as place holder for some real money making advertisement. It looked familiar so I studied it for awhile, it is Cinder Island in the Crater Lake in southern Oregon. I've been there, but I didn't expect to see it in Taiwan.
This is the year of the rabbit by the Chinese Zodiac Calendar. So at the beginning of the year lots of rabbits were sold, some of the rabbits were sold as "mimi tuzi", that is miniature rabbits. Now, with half the year over many of these "mimi tuzi" have turned out to be just baby rabbits that have now grown big. They eat a lot and smell, what to do?
Here at the "Tooth Fairy Dental", I a little worried that they be too inclined extract the tooth rather than try to save it.

But that's OK because right around the block they have another dental clinic.

This is an old style cooling mechanism from before air conditioning. Basically hot air from inside the building is blown through dripping water and back inside. It's the same principle as electric power generators cooling towers.



Although I have air conditioning in my dormitory room, I haven't used it yet. I'm trying to last until the end of the semester with only electric fans.

This is a nice picture of an aquarium that I wanted to use in the feng shui blog but the aquarium was down at that time.
My Chinese teacher really got a kick out of learning that this plant's name is "mother-in-law's tongue",
婆婆的嘴頭.

In a previous post

http://tainanchineseclass.blogspot.com/2010/01/shiny-stuff.html

I waxed on ad nausea um about the word "shining", but in at least one case I was completely off base. In the sign below "Shining" is just the romanization of the first two Chinese characters in Wade-Giles romanization. The word "Shining" has nothing to to with the English word shining or shiny.


Thanks go out to all the readers who pointed out this mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment